HFSP Postdoctoral Fellowships Program is open for application. Please ensure you read the job requirements properly before applying for the role.
HFSP Postdoctoral Fellowships Program is currently open for applications from suitably qualified candidates who wish to enroll for the program. The HFSP postdoctoral fellowships encourage early career scientists to broaden their research skills by moving into new areas of study while working in a new country.
The HFSP fellowship program supports proposals for frontier, potentially transformative research in the life sciences. Applications for high-risk projects are particularly encouraged. The projects should be interdisciplinary in nature and should challenge existing paradigms by using novel approaches and techniques. Scientifically, they should address an important problem or a barrier to progress in the field.
Key Details About the HFSP Postdoctoral Fellowships Program
- Fellowship Sponsor(s): Human Frontier Science Program (HFSP)
- Host Institution(s): Human Frontier Science Program (HFSP)
- Study Level: PhD
- Fellowship Worth: Funded
- Number of Awards: Several
- Nationality: International Students
Details About the HFSP Postdoctoral Fellowships Program
There are two different fellowships are available:
Long-Term Fellowships (LTF) are for applicants with a Ph.D. on a biological topic who want to embark on a novel and frontier project focusing on the life sciences.
Cross-Disciplinary Fellowships (CDF) are for applicants who hold a doctoral degree from a non-biological discipline (e.g. physics, chemistry, mathematics, engineering, or computer sciences) and who have not worked in the life sciences before.
Eligibility Criteria for the HFSP Postdoctoral Fellowships Program
To be eligible for HFSP Postdoctoral Fellowships Program, applicants are expected to meet the following conditions:
- A candidate who is not a national from one of the HFSP members (see list below) may apply to work only in a research institution in one of the member countries. A candidate who is a national of one of the member countries can apply to work in a research institution in any country.
- Applicants must propose to work in a country different from the one where they did their previous Ph.D. work or first post-doctoral studies. For those institutions that are not classified as national, i.e. international or extraterritorial institutions such as EMBL, ICPT or ICGEB, the country in which the laboratory is located will be considered the host country.
- A research doctorate (Ph.D.) or a doctoral-level degree comparable to a Ph.D. with equivalent experience in basic research (e.g. a research-based MD or medical Ph.D.) must be conferred by the start of the fellowship.
- Applicants must have at least one lead author publication by the submission deadline of the Letter of Intent which can be a manuscript (1) published in a recognized OA preprint repository, or (2) accepted for publication, (3) in press or (4) already published by a peer-reviewed journal.
- Applicants with a Ph.D. in a biological discipline for Long-Term Fellowships (LTF)
- Applicants who hold a doctoral degree from a non-biological discipline for Cross-Disciplinary Fellowships (CDF)
- Applicants will be asked to submit a Letter of Intent.
HFSP member countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Cyprus (EU part only), Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, India, Republic of Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and the United States of America.
Method of Application
Applications for the 2024 HFSP Long-Term and Cross-Disciplinary Fellowships (to start in 2024) will follow a two-step submission process via the online submission platform ProposalCentral.
Firstly, applicants will be asked to submit a Letter of Intent from which the review committee will select the best proposals. In the second step, successful applicants will be invited to submit a Full Proposal.
Phone: +1 703 964 5840.
Application Deadline: May 11, 2023