Are you searching online for any of the following:
- Senators salary in Nigeria
- Nigerian senators salary and benefits
- Salary of a senator in Nigeria
- How much does a Nigerian senator receive as salary?
- Salary of a Nigerian senator
- How much does a Nigerian senator earn as salary?
- Senators allowances in Nigeria
- How much does Nigeria pay her senators?
This is the right page for you. This post reveals the full salary and allowances a Nigerian senator receives per month and annually. Read on!
Important Facts About The Nigerian Senate
The Senate is the upper chamber of Nigeria’s bicameral legislature, The National Assembly is the nation’s highest legislature, whose power is to make laws.
The National Assembly consists of 109 senators: the 36 states are each divided in 3 senatorial districts each electing one senator; the Federal Capital Territory elects only one senator.
The President of the Senate is the presiding officer of the Senate, whose chief function is to guide and regulate the proceedings in the Senate.
The Senate has the unique power to impeach judges and other high officials of the executive including the Federal Auditor-General and the members of the electoral and revenue commissions.
This power is, however, subject to a prior request by the President. The Senate also confirms the President’s nomination of senior diplomats, members of the federal cabinet, federal judicial appointments and independent federal commissions.
Senators Salary In Nigeria
The information revealed in this post is credible. Below is a breakdown of the full salary and allowances Nigerian senators receive per month and annually.
How much does a Nigerian senator receive as salary per month? You asked.
The amount paid to each senator as salary per month in Nigeria is confirmed to be ₦750,000. This figure does not include other allowances or benefits which a Nigerian senator is entitled to.
The basic allowance is ₦14,250,000 per month which rates senators of the Federal Republic of Nigeria the highest paid lawmakers in Africa and third in the world.
Here is the complete breakdown of the salary and allowances of a Nigerian lawmakers
Nigerian senators monthly basic salary – ₦750,000
Nigerian senators annual salary – ₦9,000,000
The monthly allowances of a Nigerian senator – ₦14,250,000
The annual allowances of a Nigerian senator – ₦171,000,000
The Full List Of Allowances Of A Nigerian Senator
A Nigerian senator is entitled to the following benefits;
- Travel and transport allowance (local and international travel and transport)
- Utilities allowance (electricity charges, telephone charges, internet access charges, water rates)
- Materials and supplies allowance (office stationeries/computer consumables, books, newspapers, magazines and periodicals, printing of non-security documents)
- Maintenance services allowance (maintenance of motor vehicle/transport equipment, office furniture, IT equipments)
- Training allowance (local and international training)
- Remedies and medical supplies allowance
- Insurance allowance.
From the list above, a Nigerian senator earns more than ₦14,250,000 on a monthly basis which when added up amounts to ₦171,000,000 annually.
If we attempt to calculate the amount of money for all 109 senators together per year, it will amount to ₦18,639,000,000. This is how much Nigeria pays it’s senators per year.
The reality about the salaries and benefits of Nigerian senators is that they are on the high side.
Bear in mind that the figures listed above is the true report from the National Institute of Legislative Studies released for public consumption and shows how much a Nigerian lawmaker earns (the 109 Senators and 360 members of the Nigerian House of Representatives).
Have you been wondering how much a Nigerian senator earns as salary per month, alongside the full benefits and allowances he is entitled to?
This page reveals the full information you seek about the payments received by senators in the country.
I hope you find this useful. Also read Governors Salary in Nigeria